Thursday, September 2, 2010

Living a Gungho life

The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential...these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.- Eddie Robinson

The days go so much quicker when you're busy, the project is starting to gather speed, even though we're only in the early stages. I had my Management course yesterday and learnt about the principles of Gungho Leadership. This principle made sense to me. In simple terms there are three elements
  • 'The Spirit of the Squirrel' is giving people an understanding of why their job is important and knowing how their work contributes to the goal.
  • 'Way of the Beaver' means they're in control of achieving. Managers ensure that their people understand the goal and have the ability to do the job and then steps back and allows them to be in control of achieving.
  • 'Gift of the Goose' is about cheering each other on. It should be TRUE encouragement - that is timely, reponsive, unconditional and enthusiastic. It's about cheering the progress, not just the result.

This was my understanding of the concept anyway, I liked it.

We're moving to a new working environment for the next two weeks, our project team is moving into the consultancy firm for the next two weeks - I believe this move is in essence to 'put a rocket behind them' and ensure they're earning the money they're being paid. Adds an extra half hour morning and night to my travel time, but the work experience will be a good learning curve.

Looks like I might also be off to Brisbane in a couple of weeks for meetings and workshops, can't say my job is boring or mundane any more. Definitely makes my days more interesting. I've also started writing again, the ideas seem to be flowing with the reduction of stress from my former job.

Cheers, Fi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts