Saturday, October 23, 2010

Procrastination

"You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want" Margaret Young

Why is that we do other things to avoid doing the things that we know we have to do? The definition of this 'disorder' is procrastination which refers to the counterproductive deferment of actions or tasks to a later time. We all suffer from this problem from time to time and the reason I write this is because I know that I should be finalising my project for my Management course and I am writing this blog instead.

I have been reading my books on goal setting and journalling over the last week. I went and bought myself a nice pink notebook today to track my goals and my progress (pink becuase I live in house full of mere males who wouldn't dream of touching anything pink!) One thing that I have discovered from reading these books is that I need to stop beating myself up about the regularity of my writing in my journal and I guess this blog as well.

My blog and my journal are for my benefit and should be written in when I feel comfortable not because of what is expected. I write in my journal when it is a private reflection that I am after, my blog when it's more generalised, but when I feel like doing it. They're both tools for discovering more about me and who I want to be. Letting go of the belief that 'I should be writing every day' is quite liberating.

Okay enough procrastinating for today. I will write in my new 'goals' notebook and one of those goals will be to complete my Management project by this time tomorrow night. It's not due until the 11th of November and majority of it is complete, so I'm not truly procrastinating. It just weighs on your mind when you know it should be finished so that you can focus on the next things that you should be doing.

Cheers for now

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts