Wednesday, February 16, 2011

To Blog or not to Blog?

A blog is merely a tool that lets you do anything from change the world to share your shopping list - Unknown

Have you ever stopped to wonder why people read blogs or even write them? Are we all just simply voyeurs peering into other people’s lives? Or can blogs be viewed in the same category as television and books, as a way to educate, entertain and amuse us?

I am drawn to blogs written by people with similar tastes and situations as my own because I like reading how they deal with things resembling my own experiences. I like to read witty and entertaining posts, sometimes they’ll amuse me, sometimes they'll make me laugh or cry and sometimes they’ll teach me new things – but they always hold my attention.

I write on my own blog as a way of expressing myself - from my anger and worries to my joy and happiness. It's my creative outlet and keeps my mind active and stimulated. It is never written for anyone but me and if others like reading what I have to say, then that's a bonus

My 'blogs to avoid' list contains blogs that don’t fit with my beliefs and interests and I steer clear of blogs with huge amounts of advertising or over the top links in the post because this detracts from the main reason I am there – to read what you have to say.

I dislike being told in every second paragraph that I need to buy something or subscribe to something. I also personally avoid blogs with black backgrounds because I find them exceedingly difficult to read and I generally won’t re-visit a blog that hasn’t been updated in the last month or two.

Double brownie points to the three people on my 'blogs I read' list who post every single day - each day they provide interesting posts and I applaud their efforts.

Hey, my blog likes and dislikes are mine and mine alone and I am sure there are just as many people who love blogs like the ones I avoid – it’s truly about personal choice, as much as the decision on what clothes you wear or the books you read. Let’s face it, there’s a massive amount of choice out there and if you’re not getting it right then people will move on to something different and if you're getting it right then they'll keep coming back if they can connect with what you have to say.

So I guess, in a nutshell, I read blogs to learn new things and be entertained as well as taking a peek inside others lives similar to my own or in some cases vastly different to my own. I write because writing is a part of me and my blog is just one more way of expressing myself.

What about you – why do you read blogs or why do you have your own blog? What keeps you going back to some blogs and avoiding others?

Cheers, Fi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts