Saturday, February 5, 2011

Wake up and Live Life

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily." Zig Ziglar

I found an interesting website today called Dumb Little Man, not the most inspiring title for a website but it had some good articles on it. The one that caught my eye and really got me thinking was one entitled 39 Ways to Live and not Merely Exist.

How many of us go through life merely existing and not actually living our lives to the fullest. Why is it that people only decide to do something daring or new when they look death in the face? You hear of so many stories where people have had a near death experience and then decide that they should be doing something different with their lives instead of simply existing.

We're all guilty of getting stuck in the 9 to 5 rut of work, home, work, home and we forget to enjoy the simple things in life that add richness and fullness to our lives. In reality there is no way of escaping the boring and mundane but necessary parts of life. What we can do is take joy and pleasure from little things every day.

We all should be living every day as if it is our last. We should be living our dreams and doing amazing things. That's not to say we can all throw our jobs and mortgages to the wind and forget our responsibilities, but we all should be making each day special and worthwhile.

I like some of the things that are on the list of 39 Ways to Live, sure some of them aren't for me and they may not be for you either. But why not make up your own list of special things to remind yourself that life is for living.

I especially like the try something new every week and also be in the moment. I am going to write a list of 46 new things that I need to experience and then do one a week for the rest of the year. I am also going to try being more in the moment and not worrying about tomorrow or next week (especially in regard to my eldest MM) I waste so much time and energy worrying about what might happen when I could be in the moment and give my full attention to what I am actually doing.

For too many years I said that I would write my book. What I also did though was let life be my excuse for not doing it. If it wasn't the kids, then it was work or study. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge my children for a second, they are my world. In fact what I was doing was putting it off for another day when I wasn't so tired, or too busy or too unmotivated. My friend called procrastination is a dangerous being. But what if there is no tomorrow, then I would never write the book that has been my ultimate dream since forever.

So for today why not go out and do what you've always wanted to do or at least put the wheels in motion to begin it. Also don't forget to stop and smell the roses along the way. Don't wait till tomorrow or the next day, or when the kids leave home, or when you've paid off the house or when blah blah blah - you get the idea.

Make a difference to your life and live it to the fullest, don't just let yourself exist!

Cheers for now, Fi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts