Friday, March 4, 2011

Be inspired - I dare you

Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right. ~ Henry Ford

It occurred to me that so much of my life revolves around inspiration, from the title of this blog to the name of my favourite song (Inspiration by Chicago) to the reason I get up every morning - it’s all because I'm inspired to be a better me (plus the small minor point of having to earn money to pay the mortgage and the bills).

The dictionary has 9 different versions of what inspire means:

1. to fill with an animating, quickening, or exalting influence: His courage inspired his followers.
2. to produce or arouse (a feeling, thought, etc.): to inspire confidence in others.
3. to fill or affect with a specified feeling, thought, etc.: to inspire a person with distrust.
4. to influence or impel: Competition inspired her to greater efforts.
5. to animate, as an influence, feeling, thought, or the like, does: They were inspired by a belief in a better future.
6. to communicate or suggest by a divine or supernatural influence: writings inspired by god.
7. to guide or control by divine influence.
8. to prompt or instigate (utterances, acts, etc.) by influence, without avowal of responsibility.
9. to give rise to, bring about, cause, etc.: a philosophy that inspired a revolution.

Have you ever stopped to think about what inspires you? What puts that fire in your belly and makes you go the extra step to achieve something. What small every day things in your life give you enjoyment and provide a sense of well being

What makes you sit down and a write a book, an article, a blog, a poem, a short story, a screenplay? What makes you sit in front of a canvas and paint a picture, create a sculpture, design an outfit? What makes you want to learn more, do more, create more, be more?

In other words – why do you bother getting out of bed in the morning?

Here’s my list of inspirations

My children – I love seeing them learn new things and ask questions about how things work and why things happen. They are all intelligent, strong individuals forging their way in the world who still have the capacity to frustrate and irritate me and keep me on my toes.
My hubby – he’s a solutions man; if something is not working or something needs to be built he’s the fix-it man. He’s by no means a sensitive new age guy but his sense of integrity and strong work ethic inspires me.
My parents – they taught me to not only respect others but to respect myself. They also believed in me and encouraged me to achieve anything I put my mind to.
Weather – I love spring days when it’s warm and there’s a slight breeze, nature is at its most beautiful with flowers blooming. Days like this make me feel energised and peaceful.
Books – I love good writing in any shape or form. It’s got to either make me laugh out loud, smile or even cry - anything that is so well written that it makes me feel emotion is high on my inspiration list.
Achievement – Feeling like I make a difference, being recognised for the things I do and knowing that I’ve given it my best effort.
Home – I love it when my home is clean (not sterile clean, but lived in clean) and my gardens are neat and tidy. This gives me a sense of well being
Friends – they remind me to lighten up and not be so serious all the time. They are there to celebrate the good times and commiserate the bad times.
People – I’m a sucker for hearing about any person who does amazing things, has beaten the odds or just lives a good life. Lets face it we all have the capacity for greatness.

There are so many more things that I could list which inspire me but it would probably put you all to sleep.

So what about you – what inspires you?

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous list.

    In a course I teach at the homeless shelter where I work, I invite the participants to name someone who inspires them -- and then, to list the characteristics of that person. In that list, they find their truth as well.

    I love the idea of your list -- and if it's okay with you, will incorporate it into my class!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have no problems with you using the list,I'm glad that it can be of use.

    My list is what keeps me moving forward each day - and we all need that.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts