Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Listening to my heart

I've always had strong beliefs about intuition and the power of the mind. It partly comes from the comment I made yesterday and the way I was raised which makes me believe everything happens for a reason. That doesn't mean I always listen to my inner voice or that my fears don't drown it out, but sometimes I listen and I actually pay attention.

This morning I was running late for work, a problem that comes from being a 'night' person. I still told myself that I wasn't going to speed and I would get to work when I got there. Yay me for actually listening to that voice, because it probably saved me from a car accident.

Approaching a set of traffic lights that were green I was doing the speed limit not speeding which I had considered because it's a straight stretch in an 80km zone and I was running late. A car waiting to pull onto the road I was travelling on gave way to me, as she should have. The car behind her didn't, thus rear ending her and pushing her straight out into my lane. Had I have been speeding or a couple of seconds further down the road I would have hit her drivers door.

As it was, I had time to brake and move out and around her, thanking my lucky stars that there was also no-one in the lane next to me. Was it luck, was it a case of things happening for a reason or was it simply me listening to my intution. Probably all three of them. Whatever the reason I sat precisely on the speed limit the rest of the way to work and said a thousand thank you's to whoever was riding with me today and protecting me.

I am currently reading a book called 'Discover your Inner Wisdom' by Char Margolis which is an enlightening book about listening to and developing your intuition. I could actually tell you the times when I have listened and been right in my actions, and I can also tell you times when I haven't listened and let my fear over ride what my heart was telling me.

The last 12 months have been very up and down in my life and I have gradually let my fears creep up and grab hold. I think this happens more when you don't feel in control of the direction your life is taking and start second guessing everything and everyone. As a very wise person pointed out recently "I don't mean to burst your bubble, but no one truly is, in control"

I'm taking this near miss today as my message that I need to listen to what my heart is telling me and know that things will work out just the way they are meant to. Yes I have to contribute because I still hold the reins on my life (or have my hands on the steering wheel as the case may be) but instead of second guessing myself and driving myself crazy with stupid thoughts I will just go with what feels right to me and know that I can't control everything that happens.

How about you, do you listen to your heart or do you second guess?

Good instincts usually tell you what to do long before your head has figured it out. ~ Michael Burke


5 comments:

  1. Hang in there love - it will all work out in the end. I'm so pleased you were running late for work this morning!

    Love
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I was late as well - I'm hanging in there. Gut is telling me I have too.

    Funny thing I had a dream On Saturday night that the project wouldn't start till Oct (which would mean approval in May / June)

    Maybe I should have listened to my intuition on that one too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts Fi! And yes, intuition is vital -- I wrote of it today too with the book WHERE.

    Thanks for your post -- I'm glad you were listening to yourself and going the speed limit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pleased you missed that 'accident'. I have a great book about listeing to our inner voices. It basically says there are two. The first is the anxious one - if you listen to that one you make decisions you end up regreting. The second is the calm one which is trying to guide us. Seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karyn - would love the name of the book

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts