Monday, June 13, 2011

Men are from Mars (outer Mars)

I'm married to a mechanic who is also a Mr Fix-It, in other words he's very useful to have around the house. That's until it comes to asking for my assistance to fetch parts for him. He sends me off to the hardware store or the car parts place with a shopping list of what I need to get for him. Because he's a shift worker and works stupid hours, I always play the dutiful little wife and off I go.

Here is a replay of a common scenario in our home when I return from my shopping expedition.

Him - You bought the wrong 'thing-a-ma-jiggy' or the incorrect 'doosi-what-sit'
Me - That's what you told me to get.
Him - No I didn't, this is the wrong colour, size, shape, function (it doesn't matter which one)
Me - Then you should go and get it yourself because you know what you need.
Him - I don't have time, you'll just have to take this one back and get the right one

Argghh! It usually then takes me at least two more attempts to get the correct 'thing-a-ma-jiggy' or the right 'doosi-what-sit'. It drives me crazy and I usually look like a totally incompetent twat in front of the sales people when I return on three occasions in one day.

Today is a public holiday in Adelaide so I was enjoying a nice relaxing day until he handed me the 'list'. He wanted several things for MM's car and wanted them here before 2pm when he finished work so that he could work on the car. I'm just about to head off on my third trip to the car parts place and I'm frustrated beyond belief. Idiot sales staff who have no clue are also irritating beyond belief.

Simple solution - go and get your stupid stuff yourself!

For the record I hate hardware stores and car part places. I think the next time I need new underwear or gifts for family members then I might send him with my shopping list. Bright frilly pink knickers and girl stuff will be on that list and no matter what he buys - it's going to be wrong (even if it's right).

How wrong do you get it, or do you simply refuse to run errands?

Cheers, Fi


While Martians (men) tend to pull away and silently think about what's bothering them, Venusians (women) feel an instinctive need to talk about what's bothering them. ~ John Gray

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh..... well....

    I must admit, I wouldn't go and get them if I am told I always get them wrong. I might do it the first time, but the return trip -- I'd make him go with me or let him go himself.

    You my friend are a vision of patience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. frustrating, true, but i do like your revenge plot!! i can picture it!!
    :D~
    my suggestion:
    let him research stuff on the web, print it and then, hand you these which you could show to the employees... it is HIS responsability to provide as much information as possible.

    what do you think?
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts