Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Words of Wisdom 3

Wednesday's are now my Words of Wisdom posts (despite their absence the last couple of weeks with me being sick).

These will be brief posts (as opposed to my normal long ramblings). In essence I will share with you something I've discovered, read or learnt during the week.

So with the crazy busy weeks I am enduring at the moment - this seemed a fitting tip to share.

Sneaky Health Tip - source Australian Woman's Day

Does your mind race with thoughts about what you've got to do tomorrow and what you didn't do yesterday? Then you need to be more mindful, says David Michie, who wrote Buddhism for Busy People (Allen Unwin).

Mindfulness can make you feel more in control 'Give yourself five minutes each day to calm down,' David says. 'During lunch, or while you're in the car waiting for kids, switch off. Focus on the feeling of breath entering and leaving your body.'

When your mind starts to feel overwhelmed again, ask yourself if those thoughts are really important. If they're not, forget them.

We all need to take time to simply enjoy the moment for what it is. Maybe I need to practice my breath entering and leaving my body on my extended drive to and from work each day. Probably not a good idea to totally switch off when I'm driving, but definitely a good time to relax, reflect and release the stress.

Cheers, Fi

Mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different; enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will); being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won’t) ~ James Baraz

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, Breathe.

    In. Out.

    Follow your breathe.

    In. Out.

    Lovely advice! Thansk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip! Driving is a great time to focus your thoughts. You do have to be careful, though. I have found I haven't heard a word of my audio book for the last three days because my brain has been engaged elsewhere. I can't wait to hear next week's tidbit!

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts