Thursday, September 8, 2011

Making things happen - no excuses

I've said before that I'm not the most patient person in the world and I know that I step on toes when I get frustrated.

This week I've probably stepped on even more toes than normal because I'm the sort of person who likes to get things done, not tomorrow or next week but as soon as humanly possible.

When I come up against people who don't think the same way that I do, or who waste time telling me all the reasons why something can't be done, or who go at a snails pace then I'm probably not the nicest person to be around. Okay so there's no probably about it, it's a fact.

It's not because I'm a nasty person or even that I like upsetting people. It's more to do with the high standards I set for myself and my need to make things happen, my need to 'fix' things. I would like to be able to go with the flow, to sit back and let things happen around me. It's not an easy thing to do.

I have the utmost respect for people who makes things happen, who don't waste time on all the why nots. Ironically I've just googled the words 'making things happen' and the first option is a book on Project Management written by Scott Berkun about his 9 years of experience working on one of Microsoft's biggest projects.

There was a time many years ago when I let my fears paralyse me and stop me from getting things done and achieving the things I wanted. It was a firm decision I made to never to return to that place. So if I step on a few toes, or bypass those who are on the slow and steady path then that's the way it has to be.

I'll always apologise if I unintentionally hurt someone, but I will never apologise for making things happen, for wanting more in my life or for helping others. Basically I've learnt that I should never have to apologise for being me. What about you, be honest - do people like me annoy you or inspire you?

There are those who work like a dog to make things happen, there are those who watch things happen, and then there are those who wonder what happened. Be the person who makes things happen.

The world responds to action, and not much else. ~ Scott Adams

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar quote on my tag line on my work email for the longest time "Which are you a person who makes things happen, a person who watches what happens or are you one that wonders what just happened?" I am such a doer, get er done person. I am the same way high expectations of myself, so high expecations of others. If something needs to be done, fixed, etc and nobody else is stepping up then I am going to do it. Own worse enemy sometimes though because then I just add more to my plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate. Were you talking about me? *grin* I actually have been learning to slow down A LITTLE and let the Lord lead others too...but I am still the person you describe here. I must share this post on Facebook. Oh, and stopping by from Six Word Saturday - of which I loved that post too! (I'm not following via GFC and NB.)

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts