Friday, October 14, 2011

If I were an elephant

I think if it wasn't Friday and the end of the working week then I might have been tempted to be sick tomorrow so I could stay in bed and not have to go to work.

What a day, in fact what a week. I've decided that if I was an elephant then my life would be so much easier because;

1) I would have a thicker skin
2) I would be recognised as having an excellent memory and above average intelligence
3) I could stand for long periods of time without getting tired because fat stumpy legs are expected when you're an elephant and they make it easy to do
4) I would not have to worry about my weight because looking like the side of a house is acceptable when you're an elephant, after all who ever saw a skinny elephant.

Okay, all I really need is a thicker skin like an elephant because I take things way too personally. Fridays are my biggest work days because all of our weekly communication and project schedules go out just before lunch time. We also have our weekly team meetings first thing on a Friday morning from which I compile our weekly blog page.

I felt a little bit battered and bruised following this mornings' meeting as a result of discussions and questions over information that has been sent out. Deep down I know their complaints aren't really my fault or concern, I don't create the project plans nor do I govern the distribution list but I'm still the one who compiles all of the communication and sends it all out, so I'm a little sensitive about the way it's being received. Oh, okay I'm a lot sensitive.

Communications is a tough gig - you either give people too much information or not enough, the fact is you can't please all of the people, all of the time. I need to learn to stop trying. As long as I please most of the people, most of the time - I'm going to be happy with that. I need to stop trying to keep everyone happy, because damn it's exhausting work.

What's that saying 'Take a teaspoon of concrete and harden the $@#& up' - yeah that's what I need to do.

In other news, my new bedroom suite is being delivered tomorrow - finally, well most of it anyway. The company probably isn't going to be getting my recommendation for superior customer service, delivery is three weeks overdue and the bed frame still isn't being delivered until November (they are supplying an ensemble in the interim) Ahhhh.... but what can you do?
 
Well tomorrow night I relish the thought of sleeping on my brand new mattress under all of my brand new bedding. Eighteen years of sleeping on a waterbed and now into a normal bed - it's going to be a bit of a shock to the ol' body I think.
 
Hope you all have a great weekend
 
Cheers, Fi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts