Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Love your job - or change it...

Do you wake up in the morning and look forward to going to work, or do you drag yourself out of bed and seriously consider the thought of crawling back into your cosy cocoon and not going to work at all.

I've done the drag myself out of bed option previously and I hated it. There's nothing good about going to work and not wanting to be there.


You don't do your best work, regardless of what you may think and you're not being fair to those who really do want to be there.

I'm lucky enough that I now have a job that I absolutely adore and I look forward to going to. I'm doing all the things that I enjoy (who thought I'd ever get paid to do the things I love) and I'm learning heaps. I still have people and situations at work that make me want to scream some days - but no matter where you go you're going to experience that.

The thing is you've got to love what you do. So be honest, do you feel exhilarated and energised by your job, or do you want to scream with frustration and thump something, or someone?

Consider this, if the average person works a 38 hour week (full time hours in Australia) and works 48 weeks of the year. Then between the ages of 21 and retirement age of 65, they will have spent some 240,000 hours of their life working. I'm not an accountant so don't hold me to those figures, but suffice to say we work a large proportion of our lives.

Why would you want to spend that many hours of your life doing something that doesn't make you happy? A friend posted this on her Facebook page today and it pretty well sums up my thoughts.

Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets
So love the people who treat you right, and forget about the ones who don't.
Believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance, take it; if it changes your life, then let it.
Nobody said that it would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

So if you do nothing else this week, at least consider what does make you happy and what you could change in your life to make it possible. If you love what you're doing - then hold onto it with both hands and love your life.

Cheers, Fi

Without work, all life goes rotten. But when work is soul less, life stifles and dies ~ Albert Camus

3 comments:

  1. My dad always said, do what you love, what you are passionate about and you will never work a day in your life. There are definetly days that I dont want to go to work but it is not necessarily the work but rather, rather spend day with husband, kids, etc and/or not *liking* those I work with at the moment. And everything does happen for a reason, I truly believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Fi, I didn't see this earlier, but I'm glad it was still in my email. I could not agree more. There are days I am very frustrated with my job, but I look forward to going every day. The morning I wake up dreading heading to work is the day I will consider finding a new place. I definitely don't want to spend all those hours doing something I don't enjoy. Thanks for pointing out the our mental health is as important as anything else in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts