Thursday, October 13, 2011

My rose coloured glasses slipped

Today was one of those days when my rose coloured glasses slipped sideways and gave me a reality check, in other words it was both a frustrating and illuminating day.

Realising that someone who you have backed and supported and defended for so many years, is maybe not as blameless as what you may have originally believed, is not the best feeling to experience.

It shakes you up and makes you question whether you really knew that person at all or if you were just plain dumb for not seeing the real truth. I'll be honest this has quite rocked my socks and I'm both frustrated and annoyed.

I always pride myself on being a fairly good judge of character and that's the thing, I don't think I've been wrong about the character of this person - in fact I'm pretty confident in my original assessment, but what I did do wrong was place this person on a pedestal and I didn't really question some of the things that I should have.

Those amazing rose coloured glasses which give everything a rosy glow, as the dictionary puts it- 'An optimistic perception of something; a positive opinion; seeing something in a positive way, often thinking of it as better than it actually is'. It could also have been a little bit of burying my head in the sand and refusing to see what might have been there all along.

My realisation leaves me with a bit of a dilemma because the situation is what it is and I can't change it for now. As annoying as the situation is, I'm forced to bite my tongue for now and not say anything. Anyone who knows me would know that's not an easy task for me, because believe me when I say that I have a lot of words I want to share.

Despite the fact that I've not mentioned any names or situations (don't ya hate that?) I feel so much better now that I have it off my chest. All part of biting my tongue and keeping quiet - the blogosphere is both a vast place and a very small place after all.

Have you had your rose coloured glasses knocked sideways lately, or is your vision clear and unshaded?

Cheers, Fi

Rose-colored glasses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams ~ Ann Landers

2 comments:

  1. I finally have a decent Internet access this week -- until we go back to Barry's Bay in a few hours that is -- and the house is still sleeping :) -- Sorry to hear about the rose colored things going green, or sideways or whatever they do when we have to face the human reality of people doing things we don't get!

    Been there -- still prefer my rosy colored hue to dark brown or black. :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to see that someone isn't all we cracked them up to be.
    I have experienced this and I guess it's for the best. We can still admire what we do like and be more aware of when things are a little shady but not rosy.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts