Thursday, September 12, 2013

I gave away a piece of me

Yesterday I got serious and cleaned out my bookcases ... I have three bookcases which were literally bulging at the seams. In the end I took roughly 200 (maybe more) books to the local charity store. I have another two bags for my sister-in-law to take home with her.

I have (had) books on every subject under the sun, romance novels, chick lit, mystery and intrigue through to writing, self improvement, gardening, business. I still kept probably 100 of my favourites, primarily the writing and self improvement ones which I just couldn't bear to part with.

I felt like I was sacrificing a body part because I love my books, I love reading. These days my Kindle is a lot more versatile and useable and doesn't take up quite so much space. I had two full sets of children's encyclopedias which were also donated - these days they're outdated so quickly with the internet and Google, but hopefully someone can benefit from them still.

Plus I kept the children's books, because my grandson bless him, loves to read. None of my boys will go near a book unless it has pictures of fast cars and motorbikes and very few words, my grandson though - he adores books. It's our favourite thing to do when he visits.

I bought him alphabet cards the other day and to my surprise he knows probably 20 of the 26 letters of the alphabet on sight, he was 2 in June. I don't recall my children knowing their letters that early, but that was a long time ago so maybe my memories have faded.

Regardless, this nani will revel in the fact that she finally has a young family member who loves books and words.

Do you like to read, or do you do it only when you have to?

Cheers, Fi


3 comments:

  1. Oh, I can imagine how hard it was to give up your books, yet I can relate with the Kindle. I have fallen in love with my device. I will be packing and cleaning out books in the next two months. Time to make decisions about what stays and what goes. Ug! I'm so glad your grandson loves to read. My parents still have a bookshelf at their house for my girls. It's been neat watching it change as they grew. It was tough when my mom finally decided the picture books had to go. There were a lot of memories attached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the positive side, moving gives you an opportunity to de-clutter and bring freshness into your life. You know out with the old and in with the new :-)

      Delete
  2. I read constantly. Every night. I'm choosy about buying books and only pay for the ones I love and want forever, so my bookshelf is not overloaded but is full with all my treasures.

    I have a full bookcase and 4 boxes of children's books ranging from preschool to middle school ages because my girls-particularly my middle one-were readers. I can't wait to share them with the grandbabies : )

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts