Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Some things we take for granted

The greatest thing I think I've achieved in my life would have to be my children. My boys are amazing human beings who I love and adore and who make me so proud. Every day I am grateful for them and for my grandson.

No part of motherhood is ever perfect or without its challenges, yet Australia is known as the lucky country and is a great place to raise our children.

I think sometimes we all take for granted the ready access we have to good quality food, clean drinking water, decent living conditions and the access we have to a good quality health system.

I contribute to World Moms Blog and was recently horrified to learn the facts on childbirth. After all we're living in the 21st century and yet every year there are still 5 million babies who die before their first birthday and more than 200,000 women who die giving birth worldwide.

I couldn't imagine my life without my children in it, could you?

This week World Moms Blog is supporting the CleanBirth org and their amazing program which deals with some of the highest rates of infant and maternal mortality in the world. In Laos, 80% of women give birth without a trained attendant or clean supplies. In some villages women birth totally alone, due to religious practices.


The aim of this campaign is to raise $7500 in February. That money will be used to train 10 nurses, 25 volunteers and create 500 birth kits.

Just $5 USD goes a long way — it buys a birth kit which includes sanitized necessities and the cost of travel for the nurse midwife to attend a birth. Your help can provide a life saving Clean Birth Kit to save a mothers life and give her child hope of a future.

How can you join in?  Share this post.  Join the Twitter Party on Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 1pm EST! Hashtag is #Cleanbirth.  

You can also donate to this amazing cause here http://startsomegood.com/cleanbirth
I'm contributing because I know that I do live in a lucky country and because I'm eternally thankful for the health and well-being of my own children.

Cheers, Fi


 

3 comments:

  1. Great post. Sometimes, the simplest steps make the biggest difference. Let's hope we can make a difference in the lives of all these women and children whose suffering can be prevented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona, Thank you for writing this and helping to the spread the word on maternal health and the work of Cleanbirth.org. You rock!

    Jen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your lovely words. You are so right: we take for granted what we have. It doesn't take much to make birth safer - just $5. Thanks again! Kristyn, Founder, CleanBirth.org

    ReplyDelete

Everyone has something valuable to say and I would love for you to share your thoughts